I adore fresh warm Muffins, especially Blueberry, or Apple and Cinnamon, so I thought I would share a recipe and some images taken over the holidays…
Lactose Free Blueberry Muffins
- 1 3⁄4cups flour (could be Gluten Free)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries
- 1 egg (Or egg substitute)
- 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup lactose-free milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar – either icing sugar or raw sugar (see below)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin, or line the tin with papers, and grease the papers.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl and beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Add the flour alternately with the milk, beating gently just to combine. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Mash 1/2 cup of the blueberries. Add the mashed and whole berries to the batter, stirring just to combine and distribute.
- Scoop the batter by the heaping 1/4-cupful into the prepared muffin pan
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon granulated sugar atop each muffin, if desired (or sprinkle with icing sugar before serving).
- Bake the muffins for about 20 – 30 minutes, until they’re light golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the centre muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, loosen their edges from the pan, and after about 5 minutes transfer them to a rack to cool.
- Makes approx 12 muffins (or half the quantities for 6 muffins).