Summer Stone Fruit
In Australia, we know it is definitely Summer when Stone Fruit start coming into season; apricots, nectarines, peaches, plums, real favourites in my household. The first house my Husband and I lived in when our daughters were small, had a plum tree. So many plums, the kids ate them straight off the tree while playing in the backyard. Between the kids, the birds and even the dogs you would think they ran the tree bare, but no, this tree was so prolific, I ALWAYS had so much fruit, fresh fruit, preserve, chutney, fruit pies and of course, plum jam.
Plum jam recipe
- 1.5Kg Plums
- 13/4 Cup Water
- 1.25kg (1 + 1/4) Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
You will need quite a few clean jars for storing the jam in, how many depends on the size, this will make on average 6-8 jars.
- Wash plums, cut in half and remove stones.
- Place on large saucepan with water and 375grams sugar
- Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves
- Cook gently until the plums are tender, stirring occasionally
- Add remaining sugar, stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, add lemon juice.
- Boil rapidly until jam jells when tested on a cold saucer (approx 1 hour)
- Pour into hot jars and seal