Poached Pears with Vanilla Beans
There are so many variations for poached pears, from Kid Friendly to over the top Indulgent Adult Only pure decadence. It can be a good healthy snack or served with breakfast or of course as a dessert. My receipt below is kid-friendly, but feel free to create your own masterpiece. Whether you use whole pears or half pears is entirely up to you, it can be served with yogurt, whipped cream or even creme fraiche.
- 4 Brown Pears
- Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups sugar
- 6 Cups of water
- Vanilla bean, split and seeded
- Peel each pear from stem down & and cut in half (Remove seeds). Sprinkle each pear with lemon juice to avoid browning while peeling the remaining pears.
- Place 2 cups sugar and 6 cups water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pears and a split, seeded vanilla bean. Allow the pears to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Turn occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Serve pear warm or cooled with a little poaching liquid and cream, or cream cheese, or yogurt and sprinkled with a little cinnamon sugar.